SAIA is a non-governmental non-profit organisation that, since its establishment in 1990, has been implementing programmes and providing services aimed at enhancement of civil society, and assisting in internationalisation of education and research in Slovakia.
SAIA administers following programmes:
- Academic Mobility Programme (mobility based on intergovernmental agreements) –www.grants.saia.sk
- National Scholarship Programme- www.scholarships.sk
- Action Austria – Slovakia, Co-operation in Science and Education - www.aktion.saia.sk
- CEEPUS (Central European Exchange Programme for University Studies) - www.ceepus.saia.sk
- Sciex-NMSch (Swiss–Slovak Scholarship Fund) - www.sciex.sk
- EURAXESS Service Centres - www.euraxess.sk
Webpages provide detailed information regarding SAIA programmes and services offered to Slovak as well foreign nationals. In case of scholarship programmes the selection of scholarship recipients and projects is done by independent gremia and committees, made up of representatives of Slovak universities, the Slovak Academy of Sciences, the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic and other organisations from Slovakia and from abroad (e.g., foreign organisations providing scholarships, embassies of other countries to Slovakia).
SAIA also maintains pages on the social network Facebook - www.facebook.com/saia.mobility, www.facebook.com/euraxess.sk.
There are currently 6 SAIA offices in Slovakia (the headquarters in Bratislava and regional offices in Banská Bystrica, Košice, Nitra, Prešov and Žilina).